Monday, October 15, 2012

Magnificent Monday: It's Fall Meal Time...

Magnificent Monday is about celebrating the new week, and the opportunities that lie ahead.
This week, my New Week's Resolution is to cook dinner for my family most evenings by utilizing my slow cooker and repurposing meals from previous evenings.  I usually do this, but when business sets in, as I know it will this week, I tend to rely too heavily on eating meals out.  I don't like that  I do it, but I do.

Our school just finished book fair, and I bought an amazing cookbook!  I'm very excited to try some of the recipes inside.  I'll let you know how it goes.

In the meantime, I want to share a handy-dandy tip I just learned.  It has helped me a ton, and I hope it will help you, too.


It's definitely the season for crock pot dinners and slow-cooked stews.

Do you love the smell of dinner wafting through the house after a long day at work, out with the kids, or after a rain day running a ton of errands?  I find it so comforting after a tiresome day at the office to come home and smell that yummy goodness simmering away and to know that I only have to set the table and make some drinks.

I don't tend to have great luck with my slow cooker.  It always dries out and over cooks my roasts.  I thought it was just cheaper cuts of meat, or my bad cooking skills.  But I've decided it must be my slow cooker!  The only great successes we've had together have been soups and stews.

Until now! I found a great idea watching the Food Network!  It was one of those ideas that made me say, "Why didn't I think of that?!?!"

First, place a small ceramic dish in the bottom of the crock pot or slow cooker.  Then pour in about 2 inches of WATER.



Next, put your cut of meat (in my case a small pork roast) in a CAKE PAN with a little liquid and seasoning.  (Obviously this is post cooking, I wanted to test it to be sure it would work.)


Put on the lid, set the crock pot on low (8 hours) and let it do it's thing.  When I got home, my roast was done and STILL MOIST and tender.


I guess it was drying out the meal because of the direct heat contact.  Maybe my roasts enjoy a nice soothing sauna instead.

I can't believe it worked to be honest!  I thought it would still dry it out!  It was a victory day in the kitchen for me!

I love it when I can provide a healthy meal for my family, this week I resolve to do it more often...

Only By His Grace,

Billie

Be honest... have you tried this before?  What else have you cooked this way?  I'm ready to try some new recipes!