Sunday, October 28, 2012

Great Question...


I had a friend email me last week with a very important question.  I think many people may be wondering this same thing.  

Here's her question:   

What's the best and safest way to get rid of unwanted household cleaners? I have several including some bleach products, but I'm not sure the best way to dispose of them. Should I run them down the sink or trash them? Is there any other responsible ways to get rid of this stuff? We also have some yard chemicals in our basement we don't need anymore. I thought you might have some insights...let me know.

After a little research, and asking a few trustworthy friends, here's what I found out:

Each state has hazardous waste disposal facilities.  You can check out which one is closes to you by visiting www.earth911.com.  There is a link to find a location near you.  Follow the link, I think you'll find a multitude of options!

This is an important topic.  Most of the websites I visited surprisingly stated that "most household cleaners are safe to dispose of down the drain as long as they are adequately diluted."  What is adequately?  One standard was one gallon of water per a few ounces of cleaner.  So if I have 16 ounces of cleaner I would need 8 gallons of water to dispose of it?  How about a gallon of bleach?  How many gallons would I need to dispose of it?

My question is this:  Why are we wasting clean drinking water to dilute cleaners so they can go back into our treatments plants to re-clean them again?  Call me crazy, but that doesn't make sense.  We have a clean safe drinking product, we contaminate it so we can dispose of a toxic cleaning product and then we go back and have to make the water safe again.  

I'd rather start out with a safe product and NOT contaminate my drinking supply in the disposal process, thank you very much!  That's why I use Shaklee products.  I know that whether it's Basic H for my household cleaning, degreasing and window washing, Scour off, Shaklee laundry detergent, Shaklee fabric softener, Shaklee dishwasher powder, Shaklee hand soap, Shaklee dish soap, or nature bright, I know that no matter how strong I mix my products, they are still safe for my family and my environment.  I don't have to worry about what will happen if these products come in contact with my food supply or my children and pets.  I know that these products are safe!  I love that!  One less thing I have to worry about!


Basic H Super Cleaning Concentrate meets the Green Seal environmental standard for industrial and institutional cleaners based on it's reduced human and aquatic toxicity.



Germ Off Disinfecting Wipes clean, disinfect and deodorize all while being bleach and alcohol free! Fragrance Free also available.




Do good for your environment, your family and your budget! Who doesn't like saving money?



Try these products. You will not be disappointed!  They provide results!  Guaranteed or your money back!