Monday, October 22, 2012

Magnificent Monday Fall Cleaning: Getting a late start

I fear I'm getting a late start on my fall cleaning.  I do so much "regular maintenance" that I think the deep cleaning just slipped my mind.

As I move around my home, I'm finding little things that I haven't really taken care of regularly.  I want to share a few of those with you over the next few weeks.  In fact, my resolution this week is to get going with this fall cleaning business.  I will have to take it in chunks, but I know eventually I'll get it all done.  Who's with me?

Today, it's my stairs.  Yes!  My stairs.  When we moved into our home five and a half years ago, our stairs were carpeted with white Berber builder grade carpet.  Not only that but our house had been a rental.  Are you getting a mental picture?  Let me give you the final detail, then.  Some well-meaning person decided to rent a steam cleaner and clean said stairs.  Only, every time the lowered the cleaner to the next tread, it melted the carpet.  Each and every one of them...

Here's before:




My handy - dandy brother-in-law drove in from Florida and helped us (actually did it for us) take out the carpet and replace with hard-wood treads.

They're beautiful stairs, now.  But you'll have to wait to see them.  I have to clean them first.

I use Basic H and Scour off.  It does the job right, and my stairs are stunning afterward.

Let me show you how.

First I sweep all the loose dirt and dust.  Then I start at the top and clean each and every tread with my Basic H all purpose cleaner and a micro fibre cloth.  I just spray...and wipe.




Look at that beautiful shine...



Next I grab my scour off and work on any scuffs or marks...like this little black mark. 
He's tough, but he's no match for scour off.


 Black mark all gone.


This little dab of silver nail polish?


Not even a hint after scour off.  And the finish wasn't harmed!



Suddenly I notice a big black magic marker mark on the wall... 
(please ignore the popped drywall seam)


A spritz and a spray of my Basic H and a touch of my scour off and... Good by magic marker.



 Why all this trouble for stairs?  Just a good sweep will do the trick, right?  No one really notices the stairs anyway, right?

That's what I thought, too.  But just look at all this dirt!  GROSS!



Thanks to my Basic H and my scour off...my stairs look as good as the day they were installed five years ago!





Deep Fall Cleaning one step at a time...

Only By His Grace,

Billie