Thursday, January 10, 2013

My own linen closet re-do...



I thought I'd give you a break today - and show you that I'm working right along side you.  I decided to do something about my very own linen closet...

Let me tell you a little bit about it:  When I opened the door I had to dig through piles and piles of blankets, quilts, pillows, throws, sheet sets, and pool towels.  It was an unhappy experience to try to put away clean bedding or find warm blankets.

Here's the before... It's pretty scary!

Here's the rundown:  Top shelf, baby blankets and bedding. My kids are 12 and 8.  Why is this here?   Second shelf, pillows, pool towels, duvets, curtains.  Okay, I have a plan for these I just haven't gotten to it yet. Shelf three, more pool towels, blankets, sheet sets.  The bottom, duvets, quilts, pillows, throws.

Here's what I did:
1.  Empty the closet
2.  Make a "keep"  pile.  Sheets, blankets, most pool towels, throw pillows, sentimental items.
3.  Make a donate center and start adding to it.


I kept a duvet and one set of sheets that I will be using in my son's room re-do very soon.

I kept items like the baby blankets, a quilt my husband's grandmother made by hand, and a throw we received for our wedding from my husband's friend who passed away in the first gulf war.  I put these items in the largest space bag I could purchase.  

I kept most of our pool towels - although we don't have a pool we have family who does, and my kids play in sprinkler almost every day during the summer.

I sorted the sheets together by bed size, the quilts and blankets together, and the extra throw pillows (which most are new) were kept together as well.

Here's the after:

Can you believe the difference?  When winter is finally over and done and I decrease the number of blankets we all have on our beds, look at all the room I have for them.  I'm very satisfied with this closet now.

Are you making good progress, too?  I know you are!  It's a contagious thing.  I believe in you!  I know you can do it!  Organizing your home gives you freedom, space and clarity of mind.  

Let me know how you're doing!  I love to hear your success stories!

Only By His Grace,

Billie


Connect with me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/abetterwayoflife

Get posts delivered directly to your inbox:  Follow by email (right side bar)