Wednesday, January 30, 2013

January organize-a-thon is almost over...

Today is January 30!  I can't believe how quickly this month has flown! I want to tell you how proud I am of the work you've accomplished.  I get emails every day telling me that one particular thing worked for someone, or how much better another one feels since they purged a specific area... It's been very rewarding!  I hope you've been working along with us... 

I want to encourage you today to keep up the good work.  It's hard work getting organized, and it's disappointing if you don't maintain it after all that effort.

Here are a few tips I want to leave with you:

1.  Keep up the good work.  After the initial time you've spent,  maintenance should take you 15 - 20 minutes a day. You have a place for everything, make sure you use that space!

2.  Don't get discouraged if you fall off the wagon!  If you find your hall coat closet is getting disorganized again (like mine frequently does) just determine a time when you can straighten it back up...  Honestly, I have to rework mine about ever month or so. 

3.  Don't feel you have to be perfect!  There is NO SUCH THING as perfection!  You'll not achieve it in this lifetime - so stop putting so much pressure on yourself.  
      We recently had dinner with our friends, and she mentioned to me, "Don't open my drawers... they're not organized!"  It occurred to me that because I blog about home organization, people must think I'm actually organized!  Well, let me assure you, right now there are pillows on the floor, books out of their baskets and crayons on the coffee table.  It's called life - and we live it just like you do!

4.  Be mindful of what you bring in.  You've spent all this time purging and removing, now it's time to reset your thinking and become more mindful of what you allow inside your home.  Granted, you can't control it all, but you can decide to be more organized!  Before you buy that table for $10 at a yard sale, determine if you need it, what it will replace and if you actually have a place for it!

5.  Keep up the good work!  Yes, I know I already said that, but it's worth repeating.  A quote from one of our favorite movies, "Never give up, Never surrender!"  That's my take on clutter.  Either you will control it, or it will control you!  

I've enjoyed this time together - I'd love to see pictures...

Let me know how it's going!

Only By His Grace,

Billie


Connect with me on Facebook: www.facebook.com/abetterwayoflife

Get blog posts delivered to your inbox:  Follow by email (right side bar)

Leave me a comment:  That's what folks do!