Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Don't forget to remember...

Ever thought about Christmas Cards?  Really?  We go out and we buy them by the box, in bulk, sometimes 40 cards to a box, for as little as $15.00.  Then we sit down and we scrall out a generic message, we address them with our computers, and we mail them en-mass.

When was the last time you received a specific card, to you, for your family, that you knew beyond a shadow of a doubt was picked for you in mind?

Oh, I'm preaching to the choir here.  I bought 4 huge boxes this year...and our family signs every single card...

But I had an idea...a terrible, wonderful, awful idea. This year, I'm going to sit down with my kiddos (ages 8 and 11) and we are going to make a few hand made Christmas cards for a few "special" people in our lives:  teachers, the mail man, the widow lady down the street who doesn't even know us...

Oh, I won't spend a lot of money on this little project.  In fact, I'm sure I have enough craft supplies in my basement to cover the whole idea without spending a dime.  But this year, I want to send out a few cards that make someone actually look at the card and say, "wow...this was made just for me..."

Here are my inspirations...simple, pretty, special and real...


This one is pretty ornate. I don't think 
my kids would have the patience for this, 
but it's really, really cute!

 When I saw this one my first thought was,
"the kids could draw that..."  Super simple doesn't
have to mean "forgotten."
I love this!  How cute would these little
mittens be made from craft felt?  And sprinkled with 
white glitter for "snow?"


 How about a simple triangle Christmas tree with a star?
You could just write the word "wish" with black sharpie...


 This one could be mass produced.  Just cut out the same shape out of various printed papers.  Attach and write your message.

Please don't misunderstand me.  I'm not encouraging you, or stressing you into mass producing 100 of these cards for everyone you know.  But, rather for the special people in your life... a pastor, a baby sitter, a great grand parent...

Think about those in your life you want to really take notice of this year...

Only By His Grace,

Billie