Sunday, November 25, 2012

Christmas Tree Decor 101

I'm sure you've all seen the Christmas trees at the mall that are so chock full of ornaments that you can't even see the tree.  

I love Deco mesh as much as the next glitter-loving gal, but come on folks, everything in moderation...

I wanted to just give you a few of my own, simple girl tips for timeless Christmas trees that will always brighten your home, and won't break the bank.

I want to share a few simple tips with you about how I decorate for Christmas.  Here is the plain and simple truth in a nutshell -- with photos attached.

I love Christmas trees.  I do.  It's a sickness, I know, but I love them.   I want one in every single room of my house.  And that's practically what I've achieved.  But on a very low cost, low expense budget.

1.  My trees come from Wal-mart.  They are $20 6 ft - 7 ft trees.  I know they're spindly, and you can see through the branches to the bare metal pole and the cheesy platic stand... But I love them. I decorate them simply, too.  I don't spend a lot, and I keep my decorations from year to year.  I'm not saying everyone should buy $20 trees.  In fact, every year, we go out and purchase a very large LIVE tree for our living room.  You have to find the tree, and the price point that suits your lifestyle.  



2. For my "every room" trees I use one strand of 100 lights per tree.  Yes, I know the "rule" is 100 lights per foot.  But that's time consuming and it uses an enormous amount of electricity.  Fact is, I plug in my trees at 5:30 every morning, and they stay on until I head to bed at 9:30 or 10:00 each night.  I use the low cost, low usage lights, and it's only a few weeks a year.  So I'm willing to splurge a little for the glow these trees add to my home.  However, for my home, 100 lights per 6 ft tree is plenty.



3.  Use what you have!  We have been married for 21 years.  I still have many of the ornaments we bought the first year we were married.  I still use them.  Oh, sometimes they need a little bow, or a spot or two of new glitter to jazz them up, but for the most part, I use what I have.  In fact, the tree in our master bedroom has many white paper ornaments we made with the kids last Christmas.  They have touches of glitter, and they are wonderful reminders of the time we spent together making them.



4.  If you're going to buy ornaments, buy the inexpensive ones.  You'd be amazed at how great some of the ornaments you buy 2 for $1.00 can look when you add a ribbon, or simply place it on the tree with like colors and styles.  You don't have to spend a ton of money to make your home twinkle.  Let's face it, the cat is going to destroy them, the kids are going to break them, and you've been meaning to redecorate anyway.


5.  Don't get sucked into the fads.  I know there are lots of people who love the latest fad for Christmas ornaments... the optic ornaments, the singing trees, the deco mesh mass, the sprigs of glittery glam...  When you're putting up your tree, think about what you want your tree to mean to you.  It should be decorated with meaningful ornaments, cast a warm glow, and give you a sense of joy when you gaze upon it...  Just think of all the money you'll save when all that deco mesh isn't in style next year, anyway.



Spend your time making your memories meaningful.  Keep your holidays simple.  Find the joy in the moments you share under the mistletoe.  Snuggle up by the fire with your kiddos while they're still young enough to snuggle, and while they still like you enough to want to be there.

Only By His Grace,

Billie