Friday, October 4, 2013

All Things Fall...day 24

The first full week of October has come to a close.
I have enjoyed sharing with you all my favorite inspirations of the season.

My mind is racing toward upcoming events and holidays. And as I think forward to all the autumn evenings around the table and Saturday morning pancake breakfasts, I am so excited to share with you my latest autumn find.

A few days ago I wrote about incorporating grandma's china into your fall table.  You can read about it here.

Two weeks ago, I wandered into a local furniture and home goods consignment shop.  The place is spectacular.  It is chock full of fantastic offerings for your home.  As I wandered past one dining table in particular, I spied a set of antique china.  It was white, it was simple.  It was neutral.  Best of all, it had no missing or damaged pieces.  I admired it, and I walked away.

I was proud of myself for not bringing home another set of dinnerware.  But the next day, my heart was overcome by the thought of those dishes.  The day after that they had become a full-blown obsession.  Why didn't I buy them?  Why had I let such a spectacular treasure slip through my fingers?

Days passed.  I began scouring Craig's List and internet auctions for similar or identical sets.  What I found were incomplete sets, broken pieces, high prices and dishes that had not been given the TLC they require.

After eight long days and an obsession that threatened sleepless nights, my patient husband and his crazy wife went back to the shop.  I knew in my heart of hearts there was no way those fantastic dishes would still be there.  How could they still be there?

I walked through the crowded store.  I searched every dining table.  My breath grew shallow and my heart nearly stopped.  Until I saw them, gleaming underneath the overhead lighting.  Dear husband carried the heavy load to the register for me where they lovingly wrapped each piece in old newspaper and placed them in a cardboard box.

For the price of $48 after tax, I purchased 8 dinner plates, 8 salad plates, 8 bread plates, 8 soup bowls, 8 berry bowls, 8 cups and 8 saucers.  All in pristine condition.  All without wear or mar.  And they're mine - all mine! 

I must say, they are perfect for fall.  The pattern is called Golden Harvest.  They are china, made in Japan.  Circa 1960.  And I love them!


As Fall Things Fall draws to a close, I must say, I'm happy to end on such a happy note.  I have many more breakfasts and many more family dinners to prepare and enjoy.  Serving them on these dishes will make my heart happy.  

My children are already deciding which one of them will get these dishes when I die... (because they love me that way.)  Just goes to show you - you never know where your family memories and traditions will come from.  I didn't have to spend hundreds of dollars for a set of heirloom china.  They just had to witness my excitement when I bought this set of used, second-hand china.  It's a memory they'll carry every time they use these dishes.  Whichever one of them wins the toss up.

Only By His Grace,

Billie