Friday, October 25, 2013

Good Enough Fall Cleaning...


White doors.  They show every smudge and fingerprint.  They show all the forgotten dust.  But they look sooooo good against a painted wall.


One of the things I really like is white interior doors.  Oh, I know, some people paint theirs black from time to time.  Some have wooden doors.  But I think white looks so crisp and clean.  Well, most of the time.

Today's challenge: Interior doors and door jams

Seems like every time I turn around I'm seeing dark brown, black and dirty marks on my doors.  These marks are usually right around the door knobs.  I think my family must open the door with the knob, and then pull it closed behind them with the door.  

It doesn't matter if it's an exterior door, a french door, a pantry door, a closet door or an interior door.  This happens to them all.

Today we're going to take a few minutes and just pay a little attention to those dirty spots.  

First line of defense is my trusty microfiber cloth.  Next is an all purpose cleaner.  I use Shaklee's Basic H mixed to all purpose strength.  That's 1/4 teaspoon to 16 oz of water.  Boy does it work, and no harsh chemicals.  

I also like to use Clorox Green cleaner, too, but 99% of the time, I use Shaklee.

I have 30 doors in my house.  I can't believe I just counted them all.  In any case, there are a lot of doors in my house.  To go through and clean them all takes me a matter of minutes.

1) Spray the cleaner on the dirty areas of your door and door jams.  If you have panel doors, be sure to wipe down the panels, too.  They collect a lot of dust.

2)  Wipe them down with one side of your microfiber cloth and dry them with the other side.

3)  If you're feeling so inclined and want to take it a step further, take a small foam brush and a little pail of paint with you to touch up nicked areas.  But that would be going one step beyond "good enough."  That's up to you :)

I have doors to clean...and with 30 of them, I'd better get going.

Only By His Grace,

Billie