Friday, October 18, 2013

Good Enough Fall Cleaning...


I'm not certain many people like cleaning windows.  Truth is, it brings out the perfectionist in all of us.  If we are putting all that hard work into something, we certainly don't want to step away and see streaks!

If you think about it, when was the last time you actually looked at someone's windows and thought, "Wow!  They missed a spot?"  No, what happens is one of two things: a) we see how dirty the window really is, or b) we feel a case of the "should haves" - as in, "I should have" cleaned my windows already, too.

I don't think anyone besides Martha Stewart really notices streaks on windows.  And, when you consider the season, even if your windows do turn out spot free, it's most likely going to rain next week and just get them spotty again.  

So let's let go of the idea of perfection here, and step right into today's challenge.

Today's challenge: windows
Depending on the size of your house, you may anywhere from 8-10 to 20 - 25 windows.  My house has 20 full windows, three sidelights and 4 glass patio doors.  That's a lot of windows, folks.  If I determined to wash each one until spotless, well.... I'd never get finished.

I'm going to share with you my favorite way of washing windows.  I have used this method for years, now, and I cannot find a better way to do it.  Plus, it cuts down on a lot of the muscle you need to really do the job right.


This little guy is microfiber on the washing side, and squeegee on the other.  I use Shaklee Basic H window cleaner solution. You mix 1 drop of concentrated cleaner with 16 oz of water, and there is nothing, NOTHING, that this cleaner won't take care of.  You may use whatever cleaner you prefer.  This method still works great.

1) Spray window, and let the cleaner sit for about 15 seconds.

2) Wipe window with microfiber side of tool.

3) Squeegee one strip at a time, wiping the rubber strip after each swipe with a clean, dry microfiber cloth.

4) Repeat on both the inside and outside of the windows. 

Now, there are sometimes a few spots left, but not many.  I find that using this method takes me approximately 10 minutes per window top and bottom, inside and out.  So for 25 windows and doors, I'm usually busy for about 4 hours.  Some days I am gung-ho about the task and whip right through.  Other times, not so much, and I split the task over a couple of days.

We're looking forward to a great weekend.  I'm looking forward to getting a few windows washed!

Only By His Grace,

Billie