Thursday, December 20, 2012

Jazzing up a plain ornament...


A couple of years ago I needed a quick and simple gift for a ladies' gift exchange.  I wanted to make my gifts, but couldn't spend more than $5.00 for each one.

I came up with the idea of making ornaments that looked almost like tassels.  But how?

I went to Walmart and bought a simple, yet pretty ornament ball - $2.00 each.  I needed 6 gifts so I bought 3 green and 3 red.  You could purchase plain ornaments, or some with a little more glam to them... or use older ones you already have.







 Then I bought 3 spools of gross grain ribbon - 1 green, 1 red and 1 animal print for fun.  But you could use any colors or patterns that work for your decor.





I heated up my glue gun, first.  Next, I cut my ribbon into 3.5 inch strips.  I glued the ends of my ribbon together to form "loops," similar to this.  



After the loops were all glued, I started gluing them around the "hanger part" of my ball ornament.  I worked in about 3 rounds and then tied a few "strands of ribbon" and a gross grain bow to the top of the hanger.  




I think they're really cute, and they were such a big hit!  If you have older ornaments you want to jazz up a little bit, give it a try.  It takes about 15 minutes per ornament, but you give an old ornament, or an inexpensive one, a new life!

Happy Crafting!

Only By His Grace,

Billie