Friday, September 20, 2013

All Things Fall...day 14


Who's ready for a field trip to the pumpkin patch?  We have one pumpkin patch we've been visiting now since my daughter took her first kindergarten field trip to the patch.  That was eight years ago, and it is now such a family tradition that we look forward to it each and every year.  

Our pumpkin patch has a hay bail tower for the kids to climb on, a corn maze, duck pond, pony rides.  There's a picnic tent with grilled hamburgers, hot dogs and corn on the cob.  But the real reason we go is for the pumpkins.  Those glorious, orange and white pumpkins.



What's better than driving up the gravel road seeing a beautiful display of bright, orange pumpkins?




There's usually a fantastic display at the farmer's market as well.  I love the offerings of fresh fruits, harvest vegetables, home made fruit butters and preserves.  It's enough to stop me in my tracks.



But the real thrill comes from walking through the patch, finding that one pumpkin you  know is the perfect one for you, taking out the knife and slicing though that prickly tough stem and carrying it home.



A day at the pumpkin patch...well, I can only think of a few things that get any better.  I'm not a pumpkin snob, but I must say...the white ones are my favorite.

Only By His Grace,

Billie