Wednesday, February 20, 2013

What's a desperate mom to do?



Do you ever find yourself in a situation where you know you need an item, don't have an item, don't want to spend $50 on an item... but you still need the item?  What's a desperate mom to do?  (By the way, I'm using purple font color today...drinking coffee and dreaming of some scrambled eggs and toast...)

If I've intrigued you - or confused you - then let me shed some light.

Last week was 100th day at school.  Our elementary kids can either dress like they're from 100 years ago - or like they're 100 years old.  My son decided he wanted to dress like he was 100 years old.  And like the award winning mom that I am, I forgot to take his picture!  

However, he was determined he needed a cane.  A cane for Pete's sake!  What 2nd grade boy NEEDS a cane?  I was NOT going to buy one.  I didn't know anyone from whom I could borrow one... And then inspiration struck!

It was 10:00 p.m.  I was rummaging around the storage room.  Then I saw it!  A table leg!

Do you have any of these little guys in your basement?   If so, you can make a cane...


Here's what I used:

  • Scissors
  • Duck tape
  • 3 wine corks (vase filler from Target)
  • a toilet tissue roll
  • and a table leg
Here's how it went:  Warning! Lots of photos!


I attached a large cork to the bottom of the table leg.  This was actually the top of the table leg, where it would screw into the table top.  The screw was already there, and the cork screwed right on. 
 


 I used duct tape to make sure it stayed secure.



  
Next we needed a handle:  A toilet tissue roll and two small corks.

 Split the toilet tissue roll in half.

Measure to see how much you need to cover the corks.


Trim off the excess.

Fold tissue roll in half.

Cut a notch for the top of the handle.


Cut a notch for the bottom of the handle.


Roll the handle back into a circle and insert corks.


Slide over the table let to be sure it will fit.

  Begin taping with duct tape the corks into the tissue roll, making sure to wrap tightly so corks don't fall out :)


Wrap both sides tightly.



Slide over the top of the table let and secure with more duct tape:




Keep wrapping until the handle is good and secured to the table leg.


Top handle should look like this:


Bottom should look like this:


Whole thing should look like this:


Now what 2nd grade, 100 year old man-child wouldn't be proud to carry a cane like that?

Hope you enjoyed the tutorial.  You know... just in case you suddenly find yourself in desperate need of a cane.

Only By His Grace,

Billie