Monday, September 17, 2012

Magnificent Monday...

It's the inaugural Magnificent Monday!

Do you make New Year's Resolutions?  I do.  Somehow by about mid-March, I've forgotten what they were.  Does that happen to your resolutions, too?

I don't know if it's because I make resolutions that are too aggressive or if it's because the hustle and bustle of the holidays are over and I feel the need to fill all those extra minutes with....something.

So I resolve to "deep clean my house everyday," or "run 13.1 miles every weekend," or "serve an eight-course meal to my family three times a week."  Those are exaggerated examples, obviously, but when I look back at some of the real resolutions I've made, they are just as comical to me in hindsight.

What I have found that works for me is giving myself a little slack and working on one thing at a time.  

That is what I love about Mondays.  Have I mentioned that I LOVE-LOVE-LOVE Mondays?  I know that's crazy to many of you!  I love Mondays!  I love that as hectic as last week or last weekend was, Monday is the start of a NEW week.  Yes, it may prove to be just as hectic, just as bizarre, just as tiresome.  But there is something fresh about a Monday.

Therefore, I make "New Week Resolutions."  Every week I think very specifically about one thing I want to change, one task I want to complete, one correction I want to make, etc and I resolve to work on that item or task to the best of my ability.  





If I choose to organize my kitchen then I work on it for 15 - 30 minutes each day until the task is complete.  If I resolve to keep my car clean then I spend an extra minute or two when I get out after trip to make sure all trash is taken in, that all toys are stowed or removed, and that I'm not leaving out anything unnecessary.  If I choose to exercise more, then each night I resolve to spend at least 10 minutes exercising.

I have found that if I focus on one task or item at a time my items don't seem so overwhelming and impossible to accomplish.

This week I've decided that my New Week Resolution is to set down and rest for at least fifteen minutes each night.  I know, I know.  That sounds pretty ridiculous.  But I have trouble sitting down and resting.  Even if I sit down I feel the need to accomplish something.  However, with a bout of illness last week, I'm feeling like maybe resting IS accomplishing something.  It goes against my do-it-to-it attitude to life... but I'm willing to give it a try! 

Join me for Magnificent Monday and take this opportunity to make a New Week's Resolution!

And remember it's...

Only By His Grace,

Billie


What do you resolve to do this week?