Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Carrots...

I know fall is the unofficial pumpkin season...but I happen to like carrots!  Don't get me wrong.  I love the pumpkin patch, pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pie...even pumpkin soup.  But I really, really like carrots, too.

So I was wondering?  Do you guys like carrots too, or is this some strange carrot obsession I have?

Let me tell you a little about carrots:

Carrots are good for overall health and for specialty organs like the skin, eyes and digestive organs.   They are rich in Beta carotene, a powerful antioxidant.
Carrots are rich in alkaline elements which purify and revitalize the blood.
Carrots are high in potassium which balances levels of sodium and helps aid with hypertension.
Regular consumption of carrots is known to increase the quality of breast milk in mothers.
Carrots contain a phyto-nutrient called falcarinol which aids in colon health and reducing the risk of some cancers.

There are so many great recipes that include carrots.  You can put them in a stew, soup, juice them... just about anything!

But this week, I roasted mine.  Guess what?  Everyone loved them, including my children!
They were easy, they were yummy and they were good for us, too... I call that a WIN all around.

Here's how:

I started with clean carrots, that I then peeled with my veggie peeler.  Not hard work at all!


Next, I sliced each one in half at a slant for aesthetics 


Next, I drizzled on 2 TBS of all natural honey, whole cloves and cinnamon sticks.


Added a little salt and pepper for seasoning.  Baked at 400 degrees for 35 minutes.



They were super yummy and the kiddos loved them!  My husband even liked them, and he's not "a carrot guy."

So I'd call this a success!

What kinds of fall veggies do you roast?  What are your favorite recipes?  Leave me a comment or drop me a line!


Only By His Grace,

Billie



Be Sure to "Follow" Along!
If we get 50 followers by November 1 we will have a giveaway with 2 great prize packages!

3 ways to enter:
1) Become a new "follower" of this blog -- in the side bar
2) Leave me a comment telling me you're "following"
3) If you blog, post a link on your blog about the giveaway and introduce people to this blog!