Monday, March 18, 2013

Two steps forward, one step back...

When it comes to spring cleaning, do you feel like it's two steps forward, one step back?  Some home enthusiasts (I like to call them) will tell us not to fall behind.  They will say, "maintenance will keep you on track."  Know how I know that?  Because I've said it, too!

The week before my father passed away, I spent three days spring cleaning multiple areas of my house.  I posted about a few of these projects.  You can go back and check them out if you're so inclined.

I completely cleaned the first floor of our home.  The living room, the great room, the dining room, the powder room, the laundry room, the kitchen including scrubbing the hardwood floors... I cleaned my son's room, my daughter's room, the master bedroom and the master bathroom.  I cleaned the foyer and the landing on the second floor.

Then, on Friday of that week, my father was taken to the hospital with a fatal heart attack.  Over the next four days I never left the hospital.  I slept in the waiting room.  I brushed my teeth in a public restroom.  I wore the same clothes for nearly four days.  I showered once.  On Monday, I stood at my father's feet while he breathed his last breath.

And you know what?  My spring cleaning check list didn't matter to me.  Knowing it would take me weeks to get our laundry back in check, get my home back in order and catch up on email, blogging and other correspondence didn't matter.

My inbox was full for days.  The mail piled up.  The floors went unswept and unmopped.  The dishes waited.  The refrigerator went out and we lived out of a cooler for 6 days.  But none of it mattered.

So if you're following along during this little project I like to call Spring Cleaning...don't get discouraged if you fall behind a day.  Take two steps forward, even if you know you'll take one step back.  As long as you keep moving forward... 

One last thing... having a clean house is not the most important thing in this life.  Sometimes I get overwhelmed by the sheer volume of all the work and maintenance our home demands... but when it's all said and done... it's not that important, really...

Do what you can.  Enjoy those you love.  Clean when you need to.

Only By His Grace,

Billie