Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Eating healthy doesn't mean boring!

Do you like to eat as much as I do?  I love food - I'm not a picky eater, either.  Even things I've declared I didn't like, I now like - and sometimes love!

Today's post is a simple, fast, healthy recipe for you to share with your family.  If you make meals for people at church or work when they're sick or under enormous stress, this one is easy and fast - and most people like it.

The recipe is very easy to follow because nothing has to be exact.  Everything is measured according to your likes and dislikes.


Here's what you'll need:

good olive oil
1 red bell pepper
1 small onion (about fist size will do)
2 -3 cups fresh broccoli 
small container of grape tomatoes (optional)
garlic powder
salt and pepper
box of pasta, any shape or size you like
chicken stock
parmesan cheese
chicken (optional)


 While I'm making this recipe, I'm enjoying a 24 oz glass of ice water!  Cold and refreshing... in my favorite BPA free glass :)  What are you drinking?




Let's get started!



2 TBS olive oil, heated to medium.







1 small onion, chopped


 1 red pepper, chopped













2 - 3 cups broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces

 Heat water to boil for pasta, cook according to package directions:  I use Barilla, white fiber, mini penne.  It takes about 7 minutes.






Continue to stir pasta until onions are soft, peppers are softened but still firm and broccoli is bright green (Yum!)  Season with salt and pepper to taste, and about 1-2 tsp of garlic powder, depending on how garlic-ky you like.  We like a lot of garlic.

Once pasta is al dente, drain and add to veggie mixture.  As you probably noticed, I opted out of the chicken this time.  Sometimes I add pan seared chicken, some times I don't. 


At this point, I like to add about 1/4 cup of chicken stock, stir, and simmer for a couple of minutes.  I will taste-test the mixture to see if I need more garlic, salt or pepper.




Once it's all combined, dish it out in a shallow bowl, and add parmesan cheese to taste.  As you see, I like a lot of parmesan cheese!



If you're looking for a healthy, veggie (or not) meal, try this.  The kiddos even like it :)

Only By His Grace,

Billie