Saturday, November 9, 2013

Season of Gratitude...


Bread.  There's nothing like the smell of home baked bread in the oven.   It is one of the things I am most grateful for during the Thanksgiving season.

I love home baked bread.  Notice, however, that I didn't say homemade.  I can't bake homemade bread.  I've tried and failed multiple times throughout my life.  

Then one day a few years ago, I found frozen loaves of bread dough.  They come packaged 5 loaves to a bag, for the cost of about $3.00 - $3.50.  The process is simple: spray a loaf pan with cooking spray, lay in the frozen loaf, cover lightly with plastic wrap and let it rise for approximately 4 - 5 hours.  I usually do this in the morning before I leave for work.  When I return, there is a gigantic beautiful loaf of bread dough waiting for me.  I preheat the oven to 350 degrees and pop it in for approximately 20 minutes.

This is especially good when I've had the forethought to put soup or stew or roast in the crock pot.  The smell of that freshly baked bread wafting through the house makes it feel warm inside, and feel like home.  

Home baked bread:  It's an amazing thing.  I am so very thankful!

Only By His Grace,

Billie