Sunday, August 18, 2013

Same old - same old... sort of.

I am happy to announce that school is back in session.  That's right - we're back to the same old, same old... I love routine.  I love schedule.  I love to-do lists and next actions.  Needless to say, school being in session is great for my O.C.D. mentality.

This summer I took some time away from my typical house-keeping routine.  I hate to admit it, but truth-be-told, I didn't mop my kitchen floor one single time.  Nope.  Not once.  I cleaned the bathrooms about once a week, and the furniture barely got dusted at all.  And guess what?  We survived it...well, I should say I survived it.  

This past week my kiddos went back to school on Wednesday.  Wednesday is one of my days off.  I dropped my kids off at 7:45 a.m., wiped the goodbye tears from my eyes and headed to Target.  I waited impatiently for the doors to open at 8:00.  Once inside I headed straight to Starbucks, grabbed a grande skinny vanilla latte in a reusable travel cup, and began my adventure.  There's something about shopping early in the morning...alone...all alone...  Of course, you know what I mean.  It means I don't have to look at Legos.  It means I can look at fun stuff - like dish towels and bath mats.  It means I can buy the supplies on my list without forgetting a single item.    

I was home by 9:00 and that's where my day began.  I cleaned the pantry and the refrigerator.  I mopped the floor and cleaned the rugs.  I even rearranged the living furniture.  Which is the point of this whole post.

I love the same old- same old routine.  But a fresh perspective on the same old routine never hurt, either. What better time to instill a little freshness into your daily life than back-to-school time.  New backpacks, new classes, new teachers, new furniture arrangement :)  I love the new perspective it brings without wreaking havoc everywhere else.

Our home is not perfect.  Thank heavens!  Who needs the pressure of all that?  But I do like an organized, clean house.  I like little nooks tucked back in the corner with a cozy lamp for early morning or late night reading.



I like mixing colors and patterns - even styles - to create something cohesive but comfortable. 



I like carving out areas that can be used as quiet spaces - because let's just be real - not every day is full of peaceful moments and tranquility. 



Yes, it's back to the same-old, same-old routine around here. What else is there to do but hang on and enjoy the ride!

Only By His Grace,

Billie