Monday, August 19, 2013

Inspiration to get going...

I think it's been well determined that I love the back-to-school time of year.  I get my fall scented candles going, start mopping floors and cleaning shower grout, planning  my next re-arrange.

Today I have a little eye candy for you.  Every year we have a home showcase event in our city called Homerama.  You pay one admittance fee and you get to tour 20ish brand new homes fully decorated by local professionals.

I must say, this year was my favorite above all the years.  I saw an enormous number of homes with neutral color palettes, softer colors like pale teal or taupe and most, if not all, of the kitchens were showcasing white cabinets.  LOVE!

Take a peek and see what I mean.  (Pardon the iPhone photos - we forgot our real camera.)

This living room not only accessorized with a sea-foam green, but they went as far as to showcase the color on the mantel and the backs of the bookshelves.  Accessories and artwork repeated the overall color scheme, and gave the room a beachy feel.  Take away from this room: the two upholstered ottomans in front of the fireplace.


This lower-level had no shortage of natural light.  The external patio doors were glass and let in as much light as an upper-level would.  Instead of dressing the windows with window coverings, this designer flanked the window with artwork.  Brilliant!  Take away from this family room:  Those huge clocks, of course!



This bedroom was stunning in so many ways.  The color scheme was soothing, the artwork prominent but understated, the mirrored finishes added sparkle, but not in an over-the-top kind of way.  It was absolutely balanced and carried a feeling of relaxation.  Take away from this bedroom:  The nightstands.  


I thought the four prints above the dresser were absolutely spectacular.  Most people, myself included, purchase the mirror that comes with the dresser.  There is purpose in it, but I can also appreciate the beauty of the artwork arrangement above the dresser as well.   Take away from this bedroom:  the simplicity of the accessories on the dresser. 



This dining room had the most beautiful wallpaper.  I'm glad to see wallpaper making a comeback.  I'm not sure I'm ready to take the plunge again, but I'm definitely feeling the love!  Takeaway from this dining room:  The three candle stands!  Absolutely will be searching for some of these and very soon, indeed.



On a personal note, for the past two years we've been on a mission to de-clutter and de-stress-ify our home.  In that time frame we've shifted dramatically from a more Tuscan themed home with reds, oranges, browns and golds to a predominantly neutral, less cluttered home.  We're feeling the difference, too, and loving it!

What were your inspirations after looking at the photos?  What are you working on updating in your home to make it a place of serenity and tranquility?  

Only By His Grace,

Billie