Tuesday, August 6, 2013

I spoke too soon...


Just when I think I’m ready for the next phase of back-to-school life, reality smacks me in the face.

Every year my oldest runs cross country.  It's very exciting for the whole family.  Practices are held at the school, after school.  I pick up after practice is over.  Everything runs smoothly and according to plan.  I like a plan. We are home in time for dinner.  There is time for homework and a little family time afterward.

This year we get new coaches (again, I might add).  This year, our practices are NOT at school.  They are NOT after school.  They are 30 minutes from home and from 5:30 – 8:00 p.m. at night.  They are three nights a week, with a church night thrown in the mix as well. 

As much as I love back-to-school time, most of the reason is because I get an established routine back.  I regain control of my life, my house, my personal routine and my family time. I get to return to being my typical OCD self.  I love my OCD self.  She’s very efficient. But this year, the new schedule is just throwing a wrench in my O.C.D. plans.

How do you deal with the curveballs life throws at you?  Well, I have a plan.  I give myself time to process.  I give myself 2 weeks to establish a new routine and let it become the new normal.  That’s my plan, anyway.  For two weeks I just tell myself that this will soon be the new normal and we’ll all get used to it.

Who knows…we might even like it better than the old normal. 

Are you ready for the unexpected? 

Only By His Grace,

Billie