Monday, April 1, 2013

A truly Happy Meal.


Sometimes I am surprised and amazed at the little things in life that bring so much joy. May I share a little story?  

I'm having peach flavored Propel zero.  What are you drinking?

Right after my dad passed away, my husband and I were on our way to the church where his memorial would be held.  We were meeting other family members, were running a few minutes behind, and still hadn't eaten breakfast or lunch - remember the refrigerator AND stove were on the fritz...  So we ran through McDonalds.  

I wasn't feeling very hungry - I hadn't been eating very much - had already lost 7 pounds in 3 days and my loving husband was worried.  So he ran through the drive through - I said, "I'll just have the chicken nugget happy meal. But get the toy for a boy and Austin can have it."

When he ordered, he specifically said he wanted a girl toy.  As we drove around I asked, "why did you get a girl toy?"  To which he replied, "It's a happy meal, I thought you could use a present."

A smile crept over my face at the sweetness and silliness of that thought.  How long had it been since a simple happy meal toy brought me joy?  And what a simple thing for it to bring me joy in the middle of such deep sorrow and loss.

But the amazing part hadn't even happened yet.  Everyone knows I love shoes!  I do!  I love shoes... ballet flats, stilettos, cowboy boots, suede moccasins... no matter.  I love shoes.

As I opened my happy meal, my toy was the best surprise of all.
The irony is, yes, it's a Barbie toy, but my first initial is B - and pink is one of my very favorite colors...


My husband and I laughed and laughed... I even shot a quick email to all my friends, "Lovey wanted me to feel better today...so he bought me shoes!"

This little happy meal toy is hanging in my office, now.  It was the sweetest moment, the sweetest thought, and the sweetest think to happen to me on a day when my heart was broken...


Only By His Grace,

Billie